[linux-audio-dev] BruteFIR + jack = crackling noise?

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Wed Feb 26 17:42:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> But it would be very nice if I could use my usb quattro to manipulate
> the sounds of my bandmates in realtime at lowlatency. I tried with ssm
> at 64 bytes and there was noticible lag so we couldn't do anything live.
[...]
> The best I can get out of jack is 1024 but 2048 is more reliable.

Hmm, that sounds strange. How long is a noticable lag? :) Have you tried
with ecasound? I've personally tried a few USB audio devices and didn't
experience any unusual latency problems. Something like "ecasound -b:256
-z:nointbuf -i alsa -o alsa"  should be enough for effect-box type
real-time processing. Maybe I should test that again...

PS Although I must say, due to old USB-related work projects, I have a
   real love-hate relationship with USB. Nowadays whenever I see someone
   (un)plugging a USB-device, I automatically expect the machine to halt
   completely or plain just not work. :) Fortunately there are exceptions,
   my Rio500 and Midisport2x2 have almost changed my mind.. they actually
   do work. :) But, but... don't take these words too seriously.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!