[linux-audio-dev] Linux Alsa Audio over 1394 - a Thesis

Martijn Sipkema msipkema at sipkema-digital.com
Wed Feb 26 19:13:00 UTC 2003

> > Because I think ALSA does too much in the kernel (and it is not
> > well documented eiter).
>
> Wait a minute, why do you say that?

Because:
- I think ALSA is not that well documented.
- I'd rather see a combination of a device specific kernel driver and
a user-space driver than a common kernel interface.

> ALSA seems to do a lot less in kernel
> space than OSS (a lot has been moved to alsa-lib), and also much code is
> commonly shared between drivers, which is very nice.

I'm not comparing ALSA to OSS. And having user-space drivers
doesn't prevent code sharing. I just don't like the common device file
interface.

--ms