[linux-audio-dev] Fwd: CSL Motivation (fwd)

Sebastien Metrot meeloo at noos.fr
Thu Feb 27 14:40:01 UTC 2003

I agree with Paul.
Just as a side note: both Win32's MME and DirectX are callback based but
there is a way to work with both of them without using a callback (which is
not recomended at all).  I think OS9's SoundManager is also callback based
(and even interrupt driven, which is very dangerous). The problem with the
sound manager being that it doesn't support multichannel ouputs (stereo and
that's all). The problem with MME is that it's based on legacy Win16 code
which introduces a lot of latency problems. The problem with DirectX being
that it doesn't support multiple outputs and multichannel interfaces (it
supports mixing audio channels though, which is of almost no interest to
us). Both MacOS Classic and Windows have supported a very high level API to
play simple aiff/wav multimedia files like in
PlaySound("c:\windows\tada.wav"); :). I believe this is the level of service
that the sound servers try to implement, not permiting to revive the old OSS
model which have only existed on unix boxes and have been proven an ill
design quite a number of times allready :).  They should be built on Jack
and not the contrary.

Sebastien