[linux-audio-dev] 2.5 kernel recommendation ?

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Thu Feb 27 16:37:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 19:03, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I need to investigate the 2.5.x kernel series. Is there a recommended
> version for audio work ? Low-latency patches ?

There's andrew mortons patches, which you can get from here:

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.5/

I've not been using 2.5 for proper audio work tho so I can't comment on
what kind of a difference they make.

> Any special comments about the 2.5 series ?

You'll need to get the new "module-init-tools" from here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

Usual ./configure && make business.  Make sure you do "make moveold"
before installing tho; this will back up your existing modutils to
/sbin/whatever.old.  It won't install the programs unless you do this
tho so you're quite safe :)

The input stuff has changed around a bit so you'll probably want to look
through the "Input device support" section in the config.  I'd recommend
enabling "Provide legacy /dev/psaux device" if you're using X, and also
"PC Speaker support" under "Misc" if you want your beeps :)

A while back, the serial port wasn't enabled by default (at least for
me) so I'd check under "Character devices" -> "Serial drivers".  You'll
probably also want to enable "Preemptible Kernel" under "Processor type
and features".  And, of course, you'll also want to explore "Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture" under "Sound" hehe :)

Have fun :)

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>