[linux-audio-dev] Help wanted with audio app design

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Fri Feb 28 07:03:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:26:08PM -0600, Arthur Peters wrote:
> I have been working on an audio processing/synthesis application that
> should have the power of Reason and Buzz plus the ability to be used
> effectivly in live proformance. Some of you may have read my earlier
> emails on this subject. I call it Voltage.

galan has the same goals...
the design is nice. tony did a great job.

The code needs to be optimized though to behave more XAP like..
(i am convinced that i can change galan so that it becomes an XAP
 implementation)

> The main features that I want but are not availiable in other software
> are:
>  - Linux and Open-Source

of course :)

>  - the ability to route and process sequence data (MIDI like data). This
> would allow very powerful chordization and arpegiation.

implemented in galan.

>  - the ability to create sequence loops in a flexible way (like Reason
> Matrix except without the limitations). I'd also like to be able to
> record/modify them live without stoping the playback.

recording is not implemented.
modification is

>  - the ability to control things in complex ways using scripting of some
> sort (maybe as a machine that is scripted to create certain sequence
> events)

galan contains some Event processing controls...
with these it is possible to implement for loops etc...

it would be nicer if one could use python plugins...
but this involves some issues like:

- python interpreter lock
- event code path has to get out of Realtime thread...

> What I am looking for is someone to help me (an inexperienced software
> designer) design this program. That person don't nesseserily need to
> help code the program. I've desided I need help after multiple failed
> attempts. I think my current ideas are closer to a working design than
> past ones, but I don't want to code it then find out doesn't work (like
> I did last time round).
>
> If you are willing to help or have any tips or books I should read, etc.
> please email me.

read galan source  :)
the API is okey the implementation is not as optimal as it should be,
but it is therefor very simple to understand...

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language