[linux-audio-dev] API for playing wav file samples

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Sat Jan 4 02:18:00 UTC 2003

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 12:30:24 +0530 (IST)
Vandana <vandana at gdit.iiit.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I am building a sound editor and need an API for playing 'wav'
> file samples. I tried the SOX API but the quality is very bad. Is there
> some other API, I can try.

There are a number of APIs.

For reading audio files (WAV and others), the most commonly used one around
here is libsndfile:

     http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/

as well as audiofile and one or two others.

For playing files there is OSS (easy but will be dropped for the 2.6 Linux
kernel), ALSA (the future of audio on Linux), PortAudio (one API which is
portable across many platforms), Jack (client/server architecture for
allowing apps to communicate with one another) and probably others. Search
for them on http://www.google.com/linux/ .

The libsndfile source code includes an example sound file player which
uses OSS for Linux, but also works on Solaris, Win32 and MacOSX.

Erik