[linux-audio-dev] API for playing wav file samples

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jan 4 11:53:00 UTC 2003

>	I want to play sound samples (sorry for using 'wav', I just want
>to play raw sound samples) that are resident in memory. I want to play
>the samples (not read or write files). Which is the most convenient and
>easy to use library for this purpose?

i'm not trying to be a PITA, but you haven't actually defined the goal
clearly enough, though i have no doubt that you think you have.

what does "play the samples" mean? make them audible to a user? make
them audible to some other user? make them available to another
program? make them appear on which of several audio interfaces?
basically, there is no "convenient and easy to use library for this
purpose" because "this purpose" is not well-defined. if you have to
choose one, i would recommend PortAudio, but even it will not do all
that you want.

and to be a bit repetetive: why are you writing a sound file editor?
we have several good soundfile editors already available in source
form, of which snd, sweep and audacity are probably the best at this
time. why not spend your efforts improving these good programs instead
of doing it over? you may find it fun, and useful in an educational
sense, but almost nobody else will. if nothing else, start from one of
them and tear it to pieces rather than building a new one from
scratch.

--p