[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 7 04:36:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:15:40 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > continuous note on a particular VVID. The sequencer only reuses a VVID once
> > it has ended any previous notes on that VVID. The sequencer can allocate a
>
> This is the current issue at hand - just because the sequencer has ended a
> VVID with a voice-off, doesn't mean the voice is off.  It just begins the
> release phase of the envelope, on some synths.  This could take a while.
> Either you need to NEVER re-use a VVID, or you need to tell the host when an
> ended VVID is actually re-usable.  Or you need to have voice-ids allocated
> by the plugin, and NOT the host, which I like more.

Having the plugins allocate them is a pain, its much easier if the host
aloocates them, and just does so from a sufficiently large pool, if you
have 2^32 host VVIDs per instrument you can just round robin them.

> This is also for debate - David dislikes (and I agree) the notion that you
> have to send a note-on but the plugin does not have enough info to handle
> (for example) a velocity-mapped sampler until later.  Process events in
> order.  So a few ideas are on the table.

You do have enough infomation, its just that it may be superseded later.
Velocity can have a default.

ONe great thing about this scheme is that it encourages people not to
think of certain, arbitary parameters as instantiation parameters, withc
are special in some way, 'cos there not.

- Steve