[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 7 09:10:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:41:43 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> Yeah, byt you may not want control values to be latched except when a
> note is actually triggered (be it explicitly, or as a result of a
> contro change). Also, this voice.set_voice_map() may have significant
> cost, and it seems like a bad idea to have the API practically
> enforce that such things are done twice for every note.

Right, but the coust is not doubled.

> > I think this is harder to handle.
>
> Why?

More events. I guess its not impartant now I think about it.

> It's just that there's a *big* difference between latching control
> values when starting a note and being able to "morph" while the note
> is played... I think it makes a lot of sense to allow synths to do it
> either way.

I'm not convinced there are many things that should be latched. I guess if
you're trying to emulate MIDI hardware, but there you can just ignore
velocity that arrives after the voice on.

I guess I have no real probelm with two stage voice initialisation. It
certainly beets having two classes of event.

- Steve