[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 06:01:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 11:37:51 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > Either you need to NEVER re-use a VVID, or you need to tell the host when an
> > > ended VVID is actually re-usable.  Or you need to have voice-ids allocated
> > > by the plugin, and NOT the host, which I like more.
> >
> > Having the plugins allocate them is a pain, its much easier if the host
> > aloocates them, and just does so from a sufficiently large pool, if you
> > have 2^32 host VVIDs per instrument you can just round robin them.
>
> Why is it a pain?  I think it is clean.  I've never cared for the idea of
> Virtual Voices.  Either a voice is on, or it is not.  The plugin and the
> host need to agree on that.

I dont think the host doesn't has to care. Only the instrument can do
voice assignment and priority, and I think its better if assigning voices
doesn't require a two way conversation.

If hte host assigns the VVIDs then it can refer to that voice instantly,
without having to ask the instrument what ID it assigned to the voice it
just created.

- Steve