[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 10:47:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:27:51PM +0100, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> > Ny if you map CC1 (say) to a map then changing that will change the
> > sample, its just that, in MIDI, velocity cant change after the voice has
> > started.
> >
> Not quite right, _I guess_ that in some synths you can change velocity of
> a note after it has started by sending polyphonic aftertouch messages.
> At least, you can use polyphinc aftertouch messages for that purpose.

You can use polyphonic aftertouch to change the amplitude of a note, but
MIDI aftertouch is not the same thing as MIDI velocity, attack velocity can
only be sent with NOTE ON messages.

The case we are discussing here is when velocity is mapped to a sample
map, so differnt samples are selected depending on the velocity.

- Steve