[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 8 16:59:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 19.23, Steve Harris wrote:

> > > It doesn't to me!
> >
> > Can you elucidate what your objections are?  I've stated my
> > problems with VVIDs :)
>
> I dont like the fact that the id changes after the first block its
> used in and that the instrument has to comminicate the internal VID
> back to the host.

And (somewhat related to that), even though VVIDs come with a host
managed table of void *, int32 or whatever, it doesn't have any
issues with inter-process gateways, wire connections and the like
that any two-way communication system has. It's not latency sensitive
(obviously), and the table isn't an issue, since it's only used by
the *synth*. (The sender only uses the VVIDs, which are just indices
into the table.)

That is, if you want to talk to a remote synth, just allocate VVIDs
from the remote *host*, and everything will Just Work(TM).

(Which reminds me; the alloc_vvids() call needs to know which
receiver the VVIDs are for, obviously. The target queue as an
argument should be sufficient, as the host should be able to keep
track of which queues are gateways to remote hosts.)