[linux-audio-dev] Catching up with XAP

Frank van de Pol fvdpol at home.nl
Wed Jan 15 16:56:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:07:30PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
<snip>

> With MIDI, this is obvious, since VVID == note pitch. It's not that
> easy with our protocol, and I don't think it's a good idea to turn a
> vital feature like this into something that synths will have to
> implement through arbitrary hacks, based on the PITCH control. (Hacks
> that may not work at all, unless the synth is aware of which scale
> you're using, BTW.)

Sorry for nitpicking, but why do you presume MIDI presents any relation
between VVID and note pitch? Though valid in many cases, it is definately
not always true.

In MIDI the 'note on' event starts a note, and 'note off' (which can be
note on with velocity == 0) ends it. The note pitch pitch is actually just
an attribute for that note.

If VVID == note pitch would be true; the note would be a singleton, and
triggering the same note multiple times would never be possible. Note that
I'm not saying _re_triggering :-)

If you doubt, feel free to come over to my studio and hear my AKAI sampler
play multiple times the same sample at the same pitch :-)

I see the use of the VVIDs but for some reason I get an uncomfortable
feeling seeing it; it just reminds me of over engineering and adding
unneeded complexity. I'm quite glad my MIDI devices are smart enough to do
their voice allocation....

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Frank.

--