[linux-audio-dev] Need help implementing MIDI into my app

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Thu Jan 16 04:32:00 UTC 2003

Hi all, I got a couple of questions regarding MIDI implementation in
Linux.

My app (that I am currently working on) will not use MIDI for
sequencing, but rather as a real-time triggering mechanism (including
continuous controllers) that will intercommunicate with other
MIDI-capable apps on the (usually) same system. A while ago I was
suggested that the best path is to use Open Sound Control for such
stuff. However, upon [quickly] glancing at the .h file for OSC, I
realized that it is nothing more than a network protocol for such stuff
and that it has nothing in it that would enable it to "hook-up" directly
to the /dev/midi port and then parse the info by itself and route
accordingly to the settings in my main app. So, I would greatly
appreciate any help in figuring out where can I get the code that would
"bridge" this gap between /dev/midi and the OSC, and that would be
flexible enough for me to be able to customize routing (let's say based
on what controller and what channel the data is coming from).

Any source code you could point me towards would be greatly appreciated
(preferably something that is not a part of a gargantuan project that
will be hard to "extract"). Also, if I have misstated anything above,
please do correct me. Finally, any alternative suggestions for my
implementation would be greatly appreciated as well. My need is for:

1) ability to route MIDI data on a local machine incoming from outer
physical MIDI controller

2) ability to communicate with as many apps as possible

3) ability to do so in an elegant fashion (i.e. easy to implement)

4) communication needs to be only one-way (returned MIDI data from apps
receiving my app do not interest me)

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic