[linux-audio-dev] Additional LADSPA hints

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Thu Jan 16 11:27:00 UTC 2003

Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> > On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:13:35 +0000
> > Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL. Hints than an audio control should/could be controlled
> > > by a high time res. slider or control data, but shouldn't be connected to
> > > the next audio signal by default. I can't think of any simple examples off
> > > hand, but combined with MOMENTARY it could be used for sample accurate
> > > tempo tapping.
> > >
> > > My comments: I really like MOMENTARY and RANDOMISABLE. AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL
> > > could be useful, but might be painful for hosts to implement. I dont have
> > > any particular use for it right now.

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:38:53PM +0200, janne halttunen wrote:
> > Not to mention that AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL would completely useless in JACK?
> > You'd have a buffer-full of samples and apply frequency shift to them,
> > which would change the length of that buffer, which you couldn't give to
> > JACK unless you do some rebuffering.
>
> No, I dont think so. An audio rate control is just one that has a value
> per sample, instead of a value per block. Its usful for things like FM
> frequency which can be changed very quickly. Hey, I just thought of a use
> for it ;)

There's a syntactic ambiguity in the name AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL.  Steve
uses it to describe a Controller which runs at Audio Rate (i.e. sample
clock speed).  But, Janne understood it to mean a Controller *of* the
Audio Rate, which is not allowed.  Maybe a different name
(CONTINUOUS_CONTROLLER?) would be clearer.

Regards,
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA