[linux-audio-dev] Additional LADSPA hints

Mike Rawes mike_rawes at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 12:25:02 UTC 2003

 --- Jack O'Quin <joq at io.com> wrote: > Steve Harris
<S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> controlled
> off

> AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL
> have
>
> > On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:38:53PM +0200, janne halttunen wrote:
> > > Not to mention that AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL would completely useless in JACK?
>
> > > You'd have a buffer-full of samples and apply frequency shift to them,
> > > which would change the length of that buffer, which you couldn't give to
> > > JACK unless you do some rebuffering.
> >
> > No, I dont think so. An audio rate control is just one that has a value
> > per sample, instead of a value per block. Its usful for things like FM
> > frequency which can be changed very quickly. Hey, I just thought of a use
> > for it ;)

More uses:
* Vibrato/Tremolo (sounds better with continuous control)
* Fast transients (percussion synthesis)
* Smoother response to erratic input (smoothing the output from a gui
  widget makes for a nicer 'feel')

In short, I support the addition of this hint to LADSPA :)

> There's a syntactic ambiguity in the name AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL.  Steve
> uses it to describe a Controller which runs at Audio Rate (i.e. sample
> clock speed).  But, Janne understood it to mean a Controller *of* the
> Audio Rate, which is not allowed.  Maybe a different name
> (CONTINUOUS_CONTROLLER?) would be clearer.

Seconded. I think including 'AUDIO' in the hint would confuse matters. A short
comment in ladspa.h could specifiy that 'continuous' means 'at audio rate'.

Mike