[linux-audio-dev] Additional LADSPA hints

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jan 19 13:52:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:28:44 -0800, robbins jacob wrote:
> To my own surprise I have to object to the suggestion:
> /*
> AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL. Hints than an audio control should/could be controlled
> by a high time res. slider or control data, but shouldn't be connected to
> the next audio signal by default. I can't think of any simple examples off
> hand, but combined with MOMENTARY it could be used for sample accurate
> tempo tapping.
> */
>
> As is see it, this declares that an audio port should be used for control
> data. I oppose because it is ugly to declare a port one thing in its
> PortDescriptor only to reverse this in the PortRangeHint. Furthermore, this
> ugliness is likely to cause problems in hosts that do not parse this hint
> value*.

I really dont understand where your coming from with this. There are
allready several LADSPA plugins that take control data from audio ports,
its not an unusual thing tho do. This hint would reduce potential user
confusion if anything as single stage plugin appliations would stop
presenting them as audio ports.

My main concern abou htis hint is that it artificially introduces a
distinction that isn't really there. Its fine as long as no modular host
ever prevents me form wiring an audio output to hinted continuous control
input or vice-versa.

- Steve