[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Some thoughts on control ramping

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Jan 21 00:25:00 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 05.09, David Olofson wrote:
> So, it seems like we'll need that 0 test anyway. It should
> obviously apply the target value instantly, so that later events
> will work even if they land at the same timestamp. It doesn't have
> to set the delta at all, as sending a 0 duration means you *have*
> to send another event with the same timestamp anyway.

Another idea:
Since we need that (duration == 0) test anyway, why not have it
explicitly stop ramping as well, so we can connect non-ramped outputs
to ramped inputs and vice versa?

This doesn't interfere with normal operation, and it seems rude and
pointless to enforce ramping on all FP ins and outs, just to
guarantee punishment if you break the rules while ramping. :-)