[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Some thoughts on control ramping

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jan 21 22:34:00 UTC 2003

>> BTW, that's rather interesting, put in relation to the number of
>> Linux audio hackers as well. How many and how long does it *really*
>> take to create a complete Linux based studio solution?
>
>Bizarrely, I think we actually spend more time reinventing the wheel than
>the commercial guys. We have a lot of low level library reuse, but
>everyone and his dog wants to write a WAV editor. Theres also a shortage
>of maths, electronics and graphic design skills compared to commercial
>developers (for plugins at least).

i think that's exactly right. if you go to work for steinberg and say
"i want to write a better wavefile editor", i don't think its going to
happen. and you're also not that likely to get a job with emagic or
digidesign without some real demonstrable background in math and/or
electronics and/or dsp. over at LAD, on the hand, takes all comers and
accepts all new projects with only a modest tongue lashing from old
whiners like myself :)

i do like a description i read on slashdot once that suggested that
the right way to look at the GPL is as a very large corporation with
no money to pay you and no job interview. anyone can come work there
yet must still agree to follow the company rules. all software you
write while working there is released according to company rules. you
are part of a huge organization with no management and no marketing
and no financial profile.

--p