[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: ANN: k_jack v0.0.0.5 and Mammut v0.15

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 07:09:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:24:07 +0100, smoerk wrote:
> jack is not usable at all for a normal end user. without a low-latency
> kernel there a pops and klicks everywhere. then jackd freezed my
> different debian installations several times (this may kernel related,
> but a user don't care when other programs don't freeze the machine). it
> consumes rediculous amounts of memory (jackd uses 11MB, pd without gui
> 1,2MB).

I run jackd as a normal user sometimes, you just have to turn the buffer
size way up (I use 1024), just like in other non SCHED_FIFO apps. Yes, you
will get pops and clicks without a patched kernel, this is true of all
audio APIs under linux.

The 11meg is mostly shared between all the applications, its the IPC
space, and it may not even be mapped in normally, but I'm not sure about
that, it depends on the exact semantics of mlockall(2).

Nore that jack is targetted at realtime audio apps, if you're not using
realtime audio apps you dont need to use it.

- Steve