[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: k_jack v0.0.0.5

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 10:20:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:57:40 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> What I have noticed is subtle, I have xruns in both situations but the
> rate increases noticeably.
> I've been running patched kernels but there are all kinds of parameters
> (as I'm sure you know) to tweak before it is sufficiently solid.
> I would consider my findings pretty much expected behaviour with a less
> then perfectly tuned system.
>
> The real problem is that it's so very very hard to tune a system
> sufficiently without hours and hours of work. It would be very nice if
> there was some way to automate, atleast parts of, the process.

I didn't have to put any real effort in on my PC (RH8, ide, athlon),
I just installed a patched kernel from Planet CCRMA and rebooted.

I get xruns at 64 samples/period (and 128 with heavy disk load), but I
think that's a problem with the ext3 filesystem - others have reported this
too. I'm happy at 256 so I haven't bothered remounting the partition to
find out.

JACK/no JACK makes no noticable difference to the xruns.

- Steve