[Jackit-devel] Re: [PD-announce] Re: [linux-audio-dev] ANN: k_jack v0.0.0.5 and Mammut v0.15

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 22 13:17:01 UTC 2003

>I didnt think that far. Remember, it was made on a day. Its very
>simple. I dont think or hope it will make a code fork.
>
>But, its fine for running freqtweak within pd, using 64 frames
>code blocks, as a normal user. I'm not even near the ability
>to that with jack.

ok, i take back what i said about it being easier to read text. i
looked at your source code. i now see what you've done.

you've used the existing pd audio processing thread to execute the
"jack" stuff. it still makes call to clients, but you haven't actually
implemented any of the code that actually makes jack interesting: no
jack_port_connect, in particular, and no chaining of clients, forcing
twice as many context switches for multiple clients.

for myself, because its already possible to run pd as a JACK client,
the only interesting thing that i see in this effort is a push to ask
the question: does pd in fact run much better than JACK at the same
latency/buffer settings, and if so, why?

--p