[linux-audio-dev] RE: [Jackit-devel] Re: k_jack v0.0.0.5

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 22 14:09:01 UTC 2003

>Actually, can I somehow take the jackstart output that goes to the F2
>console and pipe it to a file that I could look at from KDE? That would be
>nice too.

general unix techniques, part 2003.45 (all assume the use of a bourne
shell-like shell, which covers bash, zsh, sh, ksh, ash and many others):

1) divert all regular output to a file:

   cmd > filename

2) divert regular output and error output to a file

   cmd > filename 2>&1

3) divert regular output to a file but copy it to the screen

   cmd | tee filename

4) divert regular output and error output to a file but copy it to the screen

   cmd 2>&1 | tee filename

then, to watch it from another shell:

   tail -f filename

which will check the file every second by default.

--p