[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: k_jack v0.0.0.5

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Wed Jan 22 14:56:01 UTC 2003

Hi Mark and thanks for an extensive answer.

I've read parts of Jan's paper, a lot of good info, very interesting
your parts regarding filesystem. I wouldn't have guessed that ReisterFS
would have been the least intrusive of the tested filesystems!

My current system is an Athlon XP 1700+, MSI 266(something) m/b with
256MB ram and two ide disks 60gb,80gb. Using an sb-live and an Delta44
(envy24) soundcard.
I've only recently starting to trim it for lowlatency for _real_. And
this system needs trimming. By taking your advice of shuffling the
actual cards and also trying different settings in the bios has made
noticable difference wrt latency.

Right now I'm stuck on the freezing kernel problem that Fernando has
been reporting about. Since he has posted a patch today(yesterday) I'm
in the process of building it, hopefully the problems will disappear and
latency is in the right ballpark :)

>   WRT a previous comment about not using Jack at all, how would I use 5
>soft synths, Ardour and Rosegarden at the same time without it, and only
>using Alsa? Even if I didn't require low latency which I do) how would I do
>that? I'm not clear?

For a pro/semipro this is probably not an option, unless you are content
working with just one program at the time, with MusE this works pretty
good since MusE has internal softsynths, but they aren't that many.
Also, there are cards, e.g the SB-Live/Audigy that supports multiple
open of the output port. I think it supports up to 64 simultaneous
streams that then will be mixed on the card. But I don't think
SB-Live/Audigy would suffice for a pro/semipro user. (it's ok for me,
but I don't do much serious work). Mixdown is a real pain in this
situation, what you do is that you set the soundcards mixer to record
from the output stream.
This would not work for jack based applications like ardour, then you'd
need jack anyway. I guess you could run multiple instances of jack, one
for each app, if you really wanted to. But then you would be missing the
point by a few thousand square kilometers.

Jack is a much cleaner solution that has the possibility to really bring
Linux audio together and sustain it for a very long time!
That is, if I ever succeed with running it without xruns ;-)

Regards
/Robert