[linux-audio-dev] Re: MMA membership (rambling reply)

RonKuper at Cakewalk.com RonKuper at Cakewalk.com
Thu Jan 23 12:52:00 UTC 2003

person making a living writing audio plugins might feel a little nervous
about something like the development going on with LADSPA or XAP. Not to
mention how companies like Steinberg and Cakewalk are going to feel when
Ardour 1.0 hits the net.
<<<

I can't wait to see it.  Seriously!  Competition is good, it keeps everyone
sharp, on their toes and innovating.  If the economics of open source and
Linux mean we need to adapt our economics, then of couse we'll need to adapt
or die.

The thing is, our average customer is not incredibly PC savvy, so have them
be their sysadmin won't really fly.  Like or it not, Windows and Mac O/S are
still much easier to set up and support for the "average joe", which means
they are easier for us to set up and support.

Likewise, new customers want sexy features.  Is Ardour 1.0 going to be as
sexy, full-featured and stable as existing commercial products which are on
version 5 or beyond?  Again, it's all about competition.  Prospective
customers will get to choose between "free" and "fuller featured."  Of
course over the time you guys will gain ground on the second point... <g>

-Ron