[linux-audio-dev] Happy about MADI

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jan 28 09:48:01 UTC 2003

>Your mention of "yamaha's coming linux efforts" interests me strangly ;)
>Care to share anything?

they announced last month that next year or soon after, they would be
using embedded linux in just about all their consumer keyboards and
some other products. it was mentioned here on LAD as well as
elsewhere.

>Granted the connection mangement part of mLAN is dubious, I've not been
>able to read the specs (for obvious reasons). When I spoke before I was
>thinking more of A+M over IEEE-1394, which the linux kernel allready
>supports to some extent, not mLAN as a whole.

right, but this is more or less useless by itself, as i understand it,
because nobody knows whether to connect to the datastream(s) or
not. sending a stream from A to B involves telling B to listen to A by
hand, or something like that.

>Hopefully Yamaha will address the licencing issues, otherwise it may be
>neccesary for software providers to go our own way with connection
>management, which would be a shame.

it seemed to me that they didn't want this to happen. but as i
mentioned, it wasn't clear from what i've heard so far why IEEE didn't
take up the CM stuff. did yamaha not want them to? did the IEEE not
like it? i don't know.

--p