[linux-audio-dev] rewire comes to protools

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Tue Jan 28 12:29:01 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 18.14, Paul Davis wrote:

> http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Propellerhead/PR/Re
>Wire-2-Pro-Tools.html
>
> aka: "not enough developers have licensed DirectConnect".
>
> sure would be nice to get JACK to allow the first app started to
> become the server ...

That's what I was thinking when this running without server issue came
up, actually. Then I thought it would compromize the "run with
private RT thread" idea - but now I realize it may not have to.

The combined first app/server would be running it's own audio thread,
and the jackd would effectively piggy-back on that thread, rather
than having it's own. I don't think this would affect the performance
of the app until some clients show up.

Then again, if you set the latency too low for out-of-process clients,
you're screwed anyway, as you have to restart the audio I/O with
different settings as soon as a client connects...