[linux-audio-dev] Happy about MADI

Tom stillone at snowcrest.net
Tue Jan 28 18:10:01 UTC 2003

> >Argh, what's the great thing about standards again. I still prefer mLAN, as
> >it uses generic, consumer i/o cards, and firewire is fitted to almost all
> >laptops without needing expensive audio only hardware.

A single firewire standard would be great, but it hasn't happened yet.
MOTU, Digi, Metric Halo, and Yamaha all have incompatible proprietary
implementations.  Plus there is the minor 4 or 6 conductor thing
courtesy of Sony.  Starting to look like a mess to me.

> it all still sounds pretty dubious to me,

Me too.

> hopefully, this should echo the fact that i'm with steve: MADI is an
> audio-only system, its expensive, and i don't think it has any
> particular technical benefits over mLAN. its sole advantage at this
> point is that anyone (as i understand it) can implement it without the
> licensing and other uncertainties that surround mLAN at this time.

The gear that uses it is expensive, but it isn't.  RME will sell theirs
for the same price as a hammerfall.  There is no reason why budget gear
can't use it.  Audio-only systems are all that's available right now.
MADI and adat optical exist as open solutions right now.  S/MUX support
for adat is spotty.  mlan, and 1394 in general, doesn't exist as an open
solution.  Sure I would like midi and audio on the same cable, but it's
not available right now.  6 months from now I will go with mlan if it is
openly available.  If not then I will go with madi if I can afford it.
Otherwise I will go with adat optical.  I have been postponing new gear
purchases for a long time waiting for an open 1394 solution.  Eventually
I will have to stop being a cheerleader and actually acquire some gear.
The current favorite, adat optical, simply doesn't impress me.  If
development stays on course, and I am ready to start using ardour in 6
months, mlan will be the only solution of the three that will *not* be
available.

Tom