[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Thu Jan 30 09:49:00 UTC 2003

On Thursday 30 January 2003 14.54, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:24:02 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Anyway, as to X, how about doing something like what XMMS does?
> > Don't know exactly how it's done, but it looks like they're just
> > dragging the other windows along when the main window is moved.
> > Doesn't track totally glitch free, but it sort of works...
>
> From some similar experience I think thats just an artifact of the
> fact they they have frameless, shaped windows.
>
> I think having all the apps diplays under the control of a hosting
> app is a better idea.

Yes, but how? Somehow giving each app something that's compatible
enough with an X window to handle a standard toolkit is the obvious
way, but it might be more complicated than it sounds... (And it won't
help the portability issue much, unless it's actually an X protocol
implementation - but that's probably a minor issue for most people.)