[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 12:23:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:19:57 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Thats why I suggested Xnest. It is a genuine X implemntation, and it lets
> >you run a private window manager to control the rack.
>
> yes, i love it. note that it requires a newer version of XFree86
> (3.3.2 doesn't have it).
> the big problem is that writing even a simple WM is not
> trivial. still, i would guess that taking twm and hacking it to
> enforce window sizes and position can't be that hard.

Damn. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too hard. I guess it involves
dealing with Xlib directly, and that instantly makes it hard.

On the up side it doesn't require anything like mouse controlled movement
of windows as thier placed automatically. You wouldn't need any window
furniture either.

- Steve