[linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Jan 31 02:39:01 UTC 2003

On Thursday 30 January 2003 18.12, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:31:12 +0100, torbenh at gmx.de wrote:
> > tell app its windowname and swallow that...
> > if app wnats to open another window then it has to tell
> > the host app via IPC of its new window ID and then the host will
> > swallow it.
> >
> > gnome-toolbar can swallow every app... kde toolbar too...
> > so host could be written with qt or gtk dont know about
> > fltk, wx etc...
>
> Yes, but hat is done with a window manger hack, normal X apps can't do
> that.

Are you sure this is the case? There are numerous applications that support
swallowing. Some of them are quite small.
Right now I can't think of one though, I'll do some checking.

We talked about this some years ago I remember doing some checking back then,
the ones that I have seen are derived from WindowMakers dockapps.
These apps export small bitmaps as windows, I think the approach is valid for
us to.

/Robert