e: [linux-audio-dev] The future of XAP? (was: fruityloops on linux?)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 31 09:16:01 UTC 2003

>There's no point in stopping development but it would be good if someone from
>the MMA could figure out what their opinion is on Open Source. It seems like a
> huge division at the moment between what they are wanting to do and what is a
>ctually happening around here.

there is no need to do this, because relatively speaking, nothing is
happening around here. the discussions on XAP cover *so little* of
what was discussed in 1 hour in anaheim that its almost completely
irrelevant at this point.

>Makes me feel even more uninterested in what they have to offer open source.

the MMA, just like AES, have not and do not offer software. they have
provided and managed standards. they have freely allowed those
standards to be implemented by anyone. why do you think we have so
many MIDI implemenations floating around? how do you think i was able
to use AES31 (Broadcast WAVE format) to Ardour?

>Should I feel guilt for not being interested in the closed source providers if
> they are not interested in working with us?

you should only feel guilty for impatience and a lack of communication
with the relevant parties. but i wouldn't waste time on even that.

and finally, the MMA has almost no role in this right now. they are
willing to act as stewards of the process, and of any resulting
standard. but this initiative was started by ron kuper, and if it goes
anyway, it will not be because of the MMA, but because of other
developers from cakewalk, steinberg, motu, propellerheads, fxpansion,
ohm force, universal audio, waves, apple/emagic, etc. etc. that list
can include people here, if we want it to.

--p