[linux-audio-dev] The future of XAP? (was: fruityloops on linux?)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Fri Jan 31 11:28:00 UTC 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 04.12, Paul Davis wrote:
> >	4) What is more likely to have effect on things?
> >		a) Documents and comments from some mailing
> >		   list members who got themselves an MMA
> >		   membership.
> >		b) A tested and working plugin API that's
> >		   used in real applications.
> >		c) A tested and working plugin API that's
> >		   used in real applications, and is backed
> >		   by MMA members.
>
>  d) talk to the people on the music-dsp list who actually write
>     plugins (in some cases making a living from it), and see
>     what they have come with over a year of discussing a new
>     plugin API.

Yes... Only I've never actually *seen* anything going on on in public
on the list. I've been on the list for at least 2.5 years, and during
that time, nearly all mentions of "plugin API" are in posts that I've
written myself. I must have been asking the wrong questions, because
no one on that list have ever shown much interest in plugin API
discussions.

I could have missed it, of course. I'll check the archive.

I did read the PTAF document BTW (which has not been mentioned on the
lis during the last 2.5 years), although I don't see any obvious
connection with music-dsp. Seems like the discussions took place off
the list, or on some other list. Will investigate.

> nobody visible on this but steve harris and jesse chappel have ever
> actually written any plugins for LADSPA. i would suggest that the
> arrogance of designing a new plugin API without this experience is
> a bit much.

Yes, that's a good point. I don't have much hands-on experience with
official plugin APIs myself, so I have to admit most of my
"knowledge" in the field comes from programming in general (mostly
real time stuff), general audio programming, reading plugin code and
studying API specs.

> at least go check out what they have been up to.

Yes, I'll give it another try.