[linux-audio-dev] fruityloops on linux?

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Fri Jan 31 13:22:30 UTC 2003

> > > Crappy code should be *fixed*, not documented, BTW. ;-)
> >
> > it should be both fixed AND documented
>
> That's an Open Source view though.

No, that is a professional, experienced view.

> I don't think fruityloops code can be
> called crappy, because it works very well and the end product is much loved
> by it's users. Maybe the code is messy and undocumented (I don't know, none
> of us have seen it) but it is completely their decision if they want to

Just because code is crap doesn't mean it can't run, or even run well.

> work like that. And if most of the information is in one guy's head (like
> it is in most music software companies I think) at least that guy has
> some job security!

It's inane, dangerous, and stupid for their management to LET HIM work like
that.  The minute he gets pissed off, or hit by a truck, or comes down with
some awful disease (god forbid), they are S-C-R-E-W-E-D.  Hell, if he takes
a vacation, development stops.

Their product is great, it gets more and more attention and users.  Risks
like this are bad.  At least, they are to my sensibilities.  I'd never run a
company that way.