[linux-audio-dev] ableton live

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jul 5 05:38:00 UTC 2003

Hallo,
Lance Blisters hat gesagt: // Lance Blisters wrote:

> working from the right app, not only is much of your required
> functionality already in place, but chances are there is lots of
> other funtionality you can incorporate to improve on live rather
> than spending your time catching up to it;  for instance, live has
> one window and you can only run one instance.  built on puredata or
> gdam, your live-alike would be one window, you could create multiple
> instances, run alongside other pd/gdam skins and tools, etc.

Well, fitting everything in one window is exactly on of the design
goals of Live. Robert Henke of Ableton once told me, that they keep back
funcionality they could incorporate, because they didn't find a place
in this one window for it yet.

This was also one of the major pains when I tried GDAM the last time
(which is about 2 years agoe, though): Why all those little windows?
Maybe skinning helps, but I wouldn't be able to use so many windows
"live".

ciao