[linux-audio-dev] It's been more than a year... Have things improved?

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Jul 6 19:48:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 05:35:41PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:

> 4-Interface abstraction for plugins.: We all know how our lovely X11 does not
> allow for a sane way of sharing the event loop between toolkits

This is a problem of those toolkilts, not of the X system. They all combine
two things - getting events and handling them - in a single abstraction. The
reason for this is probably that it makes them easier to use for simple
applications, which in the eyes of 'marketing', is a quality.

For me this one reason for not using them. Another one is that if you want
your apps to have a technical rather than an 'office application' look, you'll
have to design your own widgets anyway, and this is not easier (rather the
opposite) when using a toolkit than when using X directly; and all the
gory details of X can easily be abstracted away by some simple C++ classes.

I've made some experimental in-process clients for JACK that have their own
GUI (using a separate thread of course). There is no problem at all using
them together, even if they all are in the same process.

(just my 2 eurocents...)

FA