[linux-audio-dev] OpenAFS and preemptible patch

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 8 05:28:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:46:50AM +0200, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> > for the record, plain old nfs has always worked for me. any reasons you
> > are not just using that ?  (ok, i know it sucks in many respects,
> > esepcially security, but then low latency audio implied a trusted
> > environment anyway...)
>
> yes, nfs is what we are using currently. the problem is that users, being
> root on their own machine, can "su" to any other identity. nfs doesn't care
> about that. this is of course a feature :-(

We have the same situation at work, I have root on my desktop so I'm not
allowed to NFS mount the fileserver.

Have you looked at shfs, it allows you to mount filesystems using ssh, so
you can just use key authentication so theres no need for passwords.

http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

I've used it on a patched kernel without probems.

- Steve