[linux-audio-dev] It's been more than a year... Have things improved?

Rob Taylor robt at flyingpig.com
Wed Jul 9 12:39:00 UTC 2003

> Hallo,
> Rob Taylor hat gesagt: // Rob Taylor wrote:
>
> > has there been any discussion on using XUL?
> (http://www.xulplanet.com/), I
> > don't know that much about it, but if theres a good clean (playform
> > independant) way to embed SVG or OpenGL, it seems to me like it
> would be the
> > perfect way to specify interfaces for plugins, allawing you to
> do all sorts
> > of funky things (and of course, you can always use a rdf datasource if
> > you're just doing a simple plugin and want to leave layout, etc to the
> > parent app).
>
> I don't exactly see, how this would solve the problem with the
> incompatibility of toolkits under X11? Will a XUL plugin GUI be able
> to run in Ardour and in MusE, to just take two big examples of Gtk and
> QT programs?

yep. you would just need an XUL Qt comonent and an XUL gtk comonents - XUL
in and of itself is implementable in any toolkit/language/platford (for
example as well as the mozilla implemntation, there's an XUL implemntation
in Java, mapping to SWT)
I actaully think the mozilla component is an XPCOM component and there
exists XPCOM bindings for Qt and gtk (and all the other platforms moz is
availaible for)

> If you just need a personalized graphical representation of a plugin,
> you can do that in Pd or jMax, too. See for example sooperlooper,
> which comes with a Pd GUI.

i think configurability is a 2nd order issue.

isn't the issue that we need a cross-toolkit, cross-language GUI API
(preferably an open standard) to become part of XAP? i only suggest XUL as
(AFAIK) thats exactly what it is...

Rob