[linux-audio-dev] Poll: Distro for audio and MIDI development

Ismael Valladolid Torres ismael at sambara.org
Wed Jul 23 13:47:00 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am somewhat new to Linux low-level development. I have developed for
other UNIX systems before, and also for Windows NT and for JavaCard
compatible smartcards.

I have used (and enjoyed) Debian for a long time as a Linux user and for
web development. Getting into low-level development, I find Debian sid
slightly more unstable than I would find myself entirely comfortable
programming with. I have tried Mandrake for Intel and PowerPC platforms
and also enjoyed it as an user. Unluckily, latest Mandrake is not very
well supported for PowerPC platforms, and my computer at home is an
Apple G3 (even now, I know Mandrake 9.1 will be the last PowerPC
version). There is no Red Hat for us (though I know about but not tried
Yellow Dog).

I dream about a development setup as stable but also as updated as posible.

I'd like to know about your development setup, being whatever the
platform (Intel, PowerPC, etc.), distros you like for development,
whether if you use packaged drivers and libraries or latest versions
compiled from snapshots or even CVS, also about packaged, stable or
development, unstable kernels, etc.

Any feedback will be very useful. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Ismael