[linux-audio-dev] Bristol Synth

Jonathan Kraut krautj at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 14:12:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:21:09 +0200 (CEST)
guenter geiger <geiger at xdv.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, CK wrote:
> > I read:
> > > Hi, I've been playing a lot with bristol synth and really love it. So
> > > much so that I've been trying to 'Jackify' it. Actually, I'm pretty
> >
> > so ist there a jackified bristol anywhere to download ?
>
> Reading that message I tried to get bristol running with libjackasyn,
> and it works perfectly.
>
> Get libjackasyn from http://devel.demudi.org/download/
>
> Edit the bristol startup script and put "jacklaunch" in front of the
> bristolengine entries at the very end.
>
> Then Start jack, bristol ...

Hmm, that only sort or worked for me.  At first it kept trying to open /dev/audio (linked to /dev/sound/audio) but it kept failing to do that.  I tried -audiodev /dev/dsp and then the fun began:
1) if jackd is running as root or with caps (jackstart), i freeze X. (alt-sysrq-e) to get exit very ungracefully.
2) if jackd is running as a normal user, it still doesn't work unless I do this interesting move: (using the unedited verstion of startBristol
jacklaunch esddsp ./startBristol -b3 -audio -oss -audio -audiodev /dev/dsp -midi oss -mididev /dev/midi

which seems to work quite well except for the long delay (about 1 sec) between a keypress on an external controller and a sound.  I usually prefer caps.

So, in short, a truly jackified bristol would be great!

-Jon Kraut

--
Jonathan Kraut
Current email: krautj at earthlink.net (changes from time to time)