[linux-audio-dev] Bristol Synth

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Jun 5 05:50:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Jonathan Kraut wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:21:09 +0200 (CEST)
> guenter geiger <geiger at xdv.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, CK wrote:
> > > I read:
> > >
> > > so ist there a jackified bristol anywhere to download ?
> >
> > Reading that message I tried to get bristol running with libjackasyn,
> > and it works perfectly.
> >
> > Get libjackasyn from http://devel.demudi.org/download/
> >
> > Edit the bristol startup script and put "jacklaunch" in front of the
> > bristolengine entries at the very end.
> >
> > Then Start jack, bristol ...
>
> Hmm, that only sort or worked for me.  At first it kept trying to open /dev/audio
> (linked to /dev/sound/audio) but it kept failing to do that.

Did you use the latest version of libjackasyn ?
The other version have exactly this problem (they did not account for
/dev/audio)

> I tried
> -audiodev /dev/dsp and then the fun began:
> 1) if jackd is running as root or with caps (jackstart), i freeze X.
> (alt-sysrq-e) to get exit very ungracefully.

Same happens to me, but only with bristol, strange.

> 2) if jackd is running as a normal user, it still doesn't work unless I do this interesting move: (using the unedited verstion of startBristol
> jacklaunch esddsp ./startBristol -b3 -audio -oss -audio -audiodev /dev/dsp -midi oss -mididev /dev/midi

Well, thats surely not how it is meant to be.
I can start it with jacklaunch ./startBristol.
No idea why it doesn't work for you.

> which seems to work quite well except for the long delay (about 1 sec)
> between a keypress on an external controller and a sound.  I usually
> prefer caps.
>
> So, in short, a truly jackified bristol would be great!

That is out of question !
Anyhow, thanks for your feedback.

Guenter