[linux-audio-dev] System Exclusive question

Chris Wareham chris.wareham at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 11 17:26:00 UTC 2003

Albert Graef wrote:
> Chris Wareham wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had succes in getting SysEx data flowing back and forth
>> between Roland sound modules and their computer?
>

> Is the usb-midi driver on your system based on Nagano Daisuke's work
> (http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html)? I
> recall that earlier versions of this driver had a bug which caused
> writing and reading of sysex messages to interfere.

The NetBSD driver isn't based on Nagano Daisuke's one. It appears to
predate his and was written by Takuya Shiozaki. Another poster suggested
I look at the "vsex" program, which includes a neat chunk of code for
writing to raw MIDI devices. Using this I was able to send one tuplet of
bytes to the /dev/music device before it blocked on any subsequent
writes. This suggests to me that NetBSD's USB MIDI driver and OSS
emulation arent communicating with each other properly. If so then I
think it's time I emailed the authors of those two subsystems to see if
they can shed any light on my problems.

Chris
--
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.wareham/