[linux-audio-dev] Re: [MusE] More ideas :) [Track freeze] - Alsa Sequencer

Frank van de Pol fvdpol at home.nl
Fri Jun 13 14:58:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 02:12:57AM +1000, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> This is all quite interesting..

Thanks for your reply Allan, I've put some of my controversial opinions in
it, please don't feel offended!

> >From working with hardware synths I'm used to listening to everything in
> real time.... over and over and over again.. no big deal... often this
> is where new ideas are formed and also problems in the mix discovered..
>
> Personally I'm just excited that we have real-time soft synths.

Me too, unlike some other people I have a 'traditional' setup with mostly hardware
synths, effects, mixing desks. Some portions are done by the soft synths,
but I do see that more and more of the fine hardware is being virtualised in
the software (at the expense of especially the user interface / user
interaction)..

> To my knowledge MIDI in itself is a real-time spec except for sysex...
> which is used more often for management rather than real-time control..
> (although it can be). However the notes below do indicate a dedication
> to real-time.... although some concerns do arise
>
> "Note that for the softsynth to get advantage of this the application
> > >   should enqueue the events (a bit) ahead of time"
>
> ON outset it would seem that someone who is using an external MIDI
> controller device (fader box e.t.c..) or even an internal Midi slider
> app may suffer as us humans work in real time.. our real time messages
> would then be queuing after the above events...(am I making sense? let
> me try another phrase) essentially a real-time tweak of a knob (say
> routed to a filter, envelope or LFO)  may not register with the system
> as the sequencer app only received these messages in real time and not
> "slightly before"..... This would make recording performances extremely
> difficult (and in techno,electronica et.al synth tweaking is the
> performance in itself)... Imagine trying to pre-empt yourself by a
> matter of milliseconds.. Playing on traditional instruments it's often
> hard to even do it in time.   I'm not convinced trying to do "better
> than real-time" is actually such a musical concept.  I Would be happy to
> see a bounce feature that works in better than real-time.. but not if it
> is going to sacrifice the performance of MusE or any other app in
> real-time.

Perhaps I failed to make my point clear, or even that I forgot to tell the
whole context...

Some of my points of view:

- you want the latency (time between user action, eg. tweaking a real-time
  control or pressing a key) as low as possible. But don't get trapped in
  all the marketing stories people want to play

  My experience is that even with without low latency it is possible to play
  an instrument, though is more difficult and takes more practice to get the
  timing right. A latency of >20 ms makes a piano feel kind of sluggish; a
  latency <10ms gives your the feeling of instant sound. The curch organ is
  a nice example of an instrument that is difficult to play because of
  extremely high latency, but good musicians do manage...

  A nice example of constant delay I keep on using is the propagation
  velocity of sound waves. At 20 deg, the speed of sound is approximate 330
  m/s. Which means that moving the speakers 1 meter further away will cost
  you 3ms more latency...

  "Recording engineers" who claim that they can't make a decent mix if the
  latency is above 10ms might be right with that statement, but I'll be glad
  to put a bet for a crate of beer on it that they can't do a decent mix
  with no latency either ;-)

- Though the human brain can compensate for latency (constant delay), it
  can't for jitter (stochastic variable delay). If there is a lot of jitter,
  it just won't sound right, the groove just isn't there.

Every device has latency, every keyboard has latency (time between hitting
the key, and event or sound generated), every MIDI synth has latency (time
between NOTE ON event coming in and sound generated). The amount of latency
depends on the brand/model of the device (eg. my AKAI S3K sampler has lower
latency than my Kawai K1 synth etc.).

This brings op a rather interesting 3rd point:

- In the end, all that counts is that the parts of the composition arrive at
  the listner's ears at the right time. This implies that you would need to
  know about the latencies in your system, and compensate for it:

  If an event is know ahead of time (sequencer playback, but also
  pre-recorded audio), use that knowledge to ease the system and gain better
  timing accuracy. This way you can start the longish things before the fast
  things, with as goal that they are completed at the same time.

  Now you do know your latencies, but an event comes in to be played 'right
  now' (eg. a live keyboard player. You have the option to either try to
  play is best effort, with a certain (hopefully small) latency, or delay
  everything to mask the individual instrument's latency.

  In the end the only thing that matters is that it sounds OK and that when
  the recording is reproduced it sound the same... (already not a trivial
  question)

When comparing a MIDI with a block based digital audio system (eg. Jack) we
see an interesting difference: MIDI is event driven, while the audio portion
is in fact sampled, with fixed frames per second (numer of frames per second
depends on sample rate and block size).

Due to the block size processing this inevitely introduces some latency, but
what's worse, when viewed from real-time perspective, this latency also has
a jitter of up to 1 frame size (which might be quite large!).

when a softsynth, running such a frame based audio engine is driven by
real-time events like MIDI controls, it has basically 2 options:

1. play the event as soon as possible, ie. next frame, but this introduces a
   large amount of jitter.

2. determine somehow the timestamp within the frame the event needs to be
  played, and delay it till that time arrises.

For live performance one would typically opt for the first option, unless
the sound systems has fairly hight latency (which translates in jitter to
the event system!!!!). For other cases the 2nd option would be preferd,
since the data is either known ahead of time, or one can introduce a small
constant delay.

When sending the data from one app to another, this might even make the
whole timing worse, unless the last one in the chain still has access to the
original timing data, and has the ability to compensate.

The moral of my story is that timing hints won't save your ass, but might
help you if you either know the event ahead of time (eg. recorded midi
sequence), or can introduce a constant delay. A sequencer system does not
have a crystal globe to predict the future. Being aware of the artifacts of
mixing real-time and frame based systems might help us builing the right
tools for great musical compositions...

ps: I'm still a very lousy keyboard player, and am heading for some serious
beer now.  Cheers!

--