[linux-audio-dev] Newbie wants to record 4 channels underwater

Jo Evans j.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 15 20:28:01 UTC 2003

I am Computer Support technician at the Marine Research Lab, near
Leigh, North Island, New Zealand. We are a remote department of the
University of Auckland.

We are building a computer based on a JENLOGIX miniature industrial
motherboard into an underwater housing in order to record on the HDD
the output from 4 hydrophones.

We have a MIDIMAN DELTA 44 four-channel sound card and hope to be
able to write a simple script to record and save the sound streams to
disk automatically whenever the computer wakes up.  An external timer
would wake up the computer for 10mins every hour.

I am a newbie to Linux but have just ordered Redhat9 and intend to
get the system working on a desktop (DELL OptiplexGXa, 233MHz PII)
before installing it on the U/W computer.

I have found the snd-ice1712 driver module on the ALSA site.

Does anyone know if there are scripts already written that would do
what we want or could be readily modified?

Any other advice welcomed.

Jo Evans, Network Manager, Computer Support     ph ext.3601
University of Auckland                 ph 64 - 9 - 422 6111
Leigh Marine Laboratory               fax 64 - 9 - 422 6113
P.O. Box 349, Warkworth              j.evans at auckland.ac.nz