[linux-audio-dev] New powermacs?

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Sat Jun 21 18:44:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:53:52 -0400
"Ivica Bukvic" <ico at fuse.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just heard the news (rumors) of new Macs that are going to hit the
> streets on Monday. Seems like Apple is finally going to catch-up with
> the PC world: there's talk of using IBM's PowerPC 970 64-bit CPU's.

Errr, which part of the PC world is currently shipping large quantities
of 64 bit CPUs? Itanic and Opteron based boxes are nowhere near manistream
yet.

Use of this 64 bit CPU as the standard CPU in Apple machines puts Apple
well ahead of the PC world.

> Makes me wonder what repercussions this will have on the whole LAD/LAU
> community, considering that they supposedly will have built-in optical
> audio I/O and with the recent announcement of Trolltech to make OS X Qt
> GPL-ed, leaves less and less advantages in Linux's favor (apart from the

OSX is still dog slow in comparison to Linux on the same hardware. In
the audio world we will always be trying to drag the last ounce of
performance out of our hardware and OSX will hinder that attempt.

Erik