[linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Sun Jun 22 18:09:01 UTC 2003

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 01:46:30PM -0400, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> > > So basically, you want to restrict the use of a software to a
specific
> > > type of operating system? Like M$ does?
> >
> > Not a _specific_ OS. There are _many_ open-source OS's out there and
> > none of them have monopolistic agenda like Apple or M$. Nor do they
use

> one theme that permeates much opensource software is user empowerment.
> freedom from silly obstacles like per-seat licensing or artificial
> technical limits by design or stupidity. because of this, i'd much
> rather work with opensource software like gcc or apache, etc than
> their closed counterparts even before considering price.

Software would remain open-source. But the assumption is if you are
willing to part with the freedoms Linux and other GNU OS's offer, and
pay for a costlier system, as well as a bunch of shrink-wrapped apps,
then you might as well pay for the oss apps and help the oss community.
No one would switch to Apache in the first place were it not better than
the closed-source solutions. By the same token if I have a killer audio
app, they would either pay for it for their OS or switch to Linux or any
other oss OS and enjoy the freedom. It's a bit pushy tactics, but that's
exactly what our competition is doing, and doing it rather well.

> but this plan does not empower the user. it penalizes the wrong people
> (the users) for a marginal effect if any on the company.

I disagree. It penalizes the company so that it cannot claim that it is
Unix-like environment when it does not run (albeit for licensing
reasons) Unix software.

if it were
> your goal to make free software more popular (and admittedly this
> isn't my goal), it would make sense to make lots of free software
> available to people on OS X and XP who may not otherwise come in
> contact with it. so maybe they'll say, "hey, i got this software for
> free and it's neat....i wonder what else is out there like it?"

You are mixing two notions: popularity of free software vs. popularity
of _free OS_. Two are not the same.

But even if they get in contact with the oss as you pointed out, my
personal experience has taught me that they do not say "cool app, let me
switch to the oss OS." Rather, they say, "cool app, let's download more"
since it obviously works just fine on their OS and there is no need to
use Linux or any other oss OS. Hence, there is no benefit in it for
Linux.

> you don't put a 'no gurls allowed' sign on your clubhouse and then
> complain about how no hot chicks ever show up. (ohhh that was probably
> offensive, but i think it's a fantastic metaphor ... for something).

Wrong analogy. To use your context (as funny as it seems :-), I would
put 'no gurls allowed without paying' on a clubhouse that has a
covercharge. Then, next to it would be a clubhouse that is free for both
boys and girls. Pop quiz: Where would the girls go?

> if nothing else think of the children: just because the school system
> makes a deal with apple or MS does that mean those kids don't deserve
> free software or deserve to make music if their school can't afford 5
> or 10 copies off logic? are they just little closed source satans in
> the making waiting in dark places to monopolize your precious bodily
> fluids[1]? this could actually mean a substantive even life altering
> change by giving them the chance to play with your audio programs.

With my proposal the schools would realize that with Linux they would
get both the cheap computer and all the software they needed for free,
instead of licensing the closed source alternatives. It would be simply
an economical decision if nothing else. Hence, no need for weird cult
examples of their activities in dark places ;-)

> (and if anyone wants to start a company that gives away free audio
> software and sells hardware, lesson plans, training, and support to
> k-12 (and especially economically disadvantaged) schools to create
> hands on music classes count me in. you would probably be eaten alive
> by good press).

Sorry, you lost me there. I guess you are implying it's a good thing,
and I concur. However, I do not see how it connects with the stuff
above.

Thanks for your insights!

Regards,

Ico