[linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]

Ivica Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Sun Jun 22 23:39:01 UTC 2003

> Guess what: your derived license would be incompatible with the GPL or
any
> OSI license. You don't understand what free software is.

Here you go again, yakking making conclusions on your own doctored
"facts."

I never implied occlusion of the source code nor did I ever suggest that
I've worked out all the quirks out of the whole system. It is/was a mere
proposal to instigate a discussion at this point, nothing more.

> Are you stating that I'm elitist because I use command line tools? I
never
> agreed with gui users that believe their tools are easier and better
for
> ordinary people. These tools are sometimes so complicated and badly
> designed that the only reasonable command to use is "quit". As much as
> you think they should use a gui because you believe they can't use
> anything else, I think ordinary people should use free command line
tools
> because they can. Text is not elitist, and it's still the easiest and
> most powerful intellectual technology.

First you make an implied conclusion that had no grounds, now you
extrapolate upon that. You'd be a wonderful politician.

This has nothing to do with command line tools. This has to do with the
_attitude_ you give to outsiders when you talk about oss/linux issues...

> Have you ever tried to reduce a bunch of images (let's say 10000) with
> Photoshop?

Now that you mention it, there are scripts you can run in Photoshop,
predetermined operations on a file, or sets of files. How do you think
they do post-production of movie clips (i.e. in a film-gimp fashion)?
But that is beside the point. Your whole argument stems from your own
implication and hence it's not worth discussing.

> I don't care about Linux.

So what in the world are you doing on a _linux_ audio dev list?

> The free software movement is not purist

Perhaps in its implementation, but in theory... (My advice: do not tell
this to Richard Stallman)

> Hopefully, at some point, most of the computing chain will be
> free, including the hardware.

And who will fund such a development? How do you think the Linux kernel
is being developed so fast? If we wait for us geeks to come up with such
a machine, at this pace I'll be long dead before that happens, so
meanwhile I am trying to cook-up the second best thing that might just
happen within my lifetime. Nonetheless, for what it's worth I share your
enthusiasm, otherwise I would not be here.

----

So, in short, yes, I am interested in seeing larger adoption of Linux.
It's on my agenda because I believe. And I would love to see its greater
deployment in the academic circles since this is what my
domain/profession is. The reason for this discussion is because I am
trying to come up with a way to strengthen the case for Linux in
academic audio studios. As it stands right now, for a good number of
musicians/studios out there the Linux has less and less of advantages
over its competitors (obviously in part because they fail to understand
its greatest strength -- its freedom), and a steep learning curve
working against it.

Cheers,

Ico