[linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Mar 3 18:39:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:00:52 +0100
torbenh at gmx.de wrote:

> 	// First add all children of this

I think that will break the recursion, as they won't be iterated through
later, but you may be on the right track.

> what are your new features ?

16 (sixteen!) new plugins - mostly logic ones for building strange
sequencers and a much more refined GUI following the discussions we had
on this list. Quite a lot of other bits too, like preliminary OSX
support.
There is a screenshot which shows the new GUI here:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SSM
Basically we ditched the seperate windows.

> > I could have a quick go at fixing it up in the harness, give you
> > something you
> > can drop in and try. Maybe code it so you can flip an alternative
> > algorithm in and out.
> >
> > Would need to know...
> > 1) the exact semantics of "Terminal"... which nodes are marked
> > terminal and why. I can see how/where they're marked, but haven't
> > looked into why. (Maybe I should just read the code).
>
> Terminals are outputs...
>
> there are input terminals but they are not used in 0.2.0...

Output terminal modules (OSS,Jack,DiskWriter) are needed to be flagged
to resolve perfectly circular patches (eg Jack -> Echo -> Jack). The
Graphsort falls back on this if it can't find a root by itself.

> > 2) any non-obvious requirements on the sort order.
> > 3) how, if at all, the rest of the app is sensitive to the internal
> > implementation
> > of the GraphSort class.
>
> Sort is only called from GraphSort.C seems to be ok for you....

Indeed, the implementation shouldn't affect anything else. No special
requirements that I can think of, except it shouldn't be too slow, but
it's currently a recursive function it probably couldn't get much slower
- and it doesn't impact the performance at the moment.

dave