[linux-audio-dev] hammerfall 9652

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Mar 13 05:12:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

still trying to record sound from my hammerfall cards' s/pdif input.

I started writing a howto detailing what I'm going through, because i
haven't found much info on the hammerfall while googling.

I figured it would be wise to make sure I understand all output that ALSA
gives me first.  Unfortunately a lot of what I need is not documented
outside of code.

So, maybe some people here can help me.  Here's some output from
/proc/asound, along with questions:

[root at framboos root]# cat /proc/asound/card0/rme9652
RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5) (Card #1)
Buffers: capture cdc00000 playback cda00000
IRQ: 5 Registers bus: 0xde000000 VM: 0xd0894000
Control register: 24104c

Latency: 4096 samples (2 periods of 16384 bytes)
--> should I be increasing this latency ?

Hardware pointer (frames): 0
Passthru: no
--> what does Passthru mean in this context ?

Clock mode: autosync
Pref. sync source: ADAT1
--> I guess this means it tries to get some sort of sync signal from ADAT1
    input port ?

ADAT1 Input source: ADAT1 optical
--> This seems to indicate my ADAT1 input is set up for taking S/PDIF ?

IEC958 input: ADAT1
IEC958 output: Coaxial & ADAT1
--> If I set this to output to optical, can I then take the S/PDIF input
on ADAT1/IN passed through to ADAT1/OUT ?

IEC958 quality: Consumer
--> How do I set this to Professional ? I'm recording from our AMEK
digital mixing desk and it sends out Professional.
I didn't find any option in asound.state for it.

IEC958 emphasis: off
IEC958 Dolby: off
IEC958 sample rate: 48000

ADAT Sample rate: 48000Hz
ADAT1: No Lock
ADAT2: No Lock
ADAT3: No Lock
--> This looks like it gives the current status of the input channels; ie,
they would indicate "Lock" if they were receiving a valid signal, correct
?

Timecode signal: no
Punch Status:

 1: off  2: off  3: off  4: off  5: off  6: off  7: off  8: off
 9: off 10: off 11: off 12: off 13: off 14: off 15: off 16: off
17: off 18: off

--> What does Punch Status mean ?

I appreciate your time in answering these questions if you do and I hope
to put together a useful s/pdif hammerfall recording howto based on it.

Thanks,
Thomas

Follow me down to the bushes dear
No one will know we'll disappear
I'll hold your hand we'll never tell
Our private little trip to hell tonight
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->