[linux-audio-dev] Echo Darla/Gina/Layla/... on Linux

Lamar Owen lamar.owen at wgcr.org
Mon Mar 17 23:31:00 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 March 2003 19:00, Ranjit Singh wrote:
> Lamar, since you're on Internet Radio and that, maybe you'd like to do the
> testing from an engineer's perspective? (ie with stability and throughput
> as your main goals.) Do you have any coding experience?

I am a broadcast engineer by profession, but a hacker by hobby.  I maintain
the PostgreSQL RPMset, the nspostgres AOLserver database driver, and do a
little bit of coding.  I wouldn't consider myself fluent in C++, however.
But I enjoy learning new things....

I _have_ had some issues with the TRS 1/4 inch jacks on the Layla 20, though.
Odd things like the top jack of a two-jack stack becoming inoperative after
plugging in the bottom plug (in balanced mode).  If using unbalanced
connections, I don't have this problem.  I've been considering some 'surgery'
on the box, and replacing the 1/4's with a DB25 or something, that I could
then breakout to XLR's.  Of course, I've also been considering an upgrade to
something like a Motu 1394 solution.  But I'm not sure yet.

We do real-time live multitrack recording here with Layla.  It works quite
well; using Ardour with the box would be cool.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio